Friday, August 22, 2008

A Sad Diagnosis

I have just received some sad, sad news. A very close family friend has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer is one of those that by the time it is discovered, it has already spread. This is the case with my long time friend. The doctors have given her about 3 months to live. What do you say to that? How do you offer words of support? Are there any words at all?
I grew up with this family. Their son, Frankie (Frank now),  is only a few months older than me. We spent a lot of time together playing and swimming.  I remember this one particular time when I was at their house playing. Lynn had some chocolate diet candy and Frankie and me wanted some. We didn't care if it was diet or not. So while I stood watch, Frankie climbed up on the counter and found the candy hidden behind some other things. He jumped down and we scarffed down that chocolate before we could be found out. That was the best chocolate!!
I continue to pray for them. I pray for God's strenghth and comfort to be with them all as they face these very challenging last days. I hope they all know just how special they are to me.

No comments: